Fun ideas to get the kids gardening, it’s got to be one of the most fun & simultaneously educational thing you can do for the family.
Some good subjects to touch on along with some links to supporting BBC articles:
- Seeds – Find out how many seeds an orchid can hold
- Compost – Find out how to make use of your waste
- Photosynthesis – Explore how plants use the sun to get their food
- Weeds – Why are weeds considered such pests?
- Flowers – All you need to know about pollination
- Plant scents – Take a look at how plants attract insects
- Worms – Fascinating facts about these wriggly creatures
Idea No1 to get the kids involved – Grab an old Chinese takeaway tub, a bit of soil and some drawing equipment. Go for a bug hunt in the garden and collect as many bugs as possible then get drawing them.
Everyone grows sunflowers with the kids but why not grab some cheap and cheerful salad leaf seeds and get growing the easiest food. It’s pretty easy and can be grown in almost anything form an old welly to that same Chinese takeaway pot used in idea No1.
- a pot of good soil
- garden tools
- compost or manure
- watering can
- seeds of salad crops, such as lettuce, spring onion, rocket, nasturtium, pot marigold, cherry tomato, pea and crystal apple cucumber
Failing all else just get into the garden and dig some holes and make a mud pie, that always goes down well!
We have a few items to assist which can be seen here. A few of our favourite kids gardening products are: