What membrane is used for horse arenas?
You may need woven and non-woven geotextile membrane in your arena project. Depending on the use and loading needed. In some cases a non-woven membrane may be sufficient.
A woven membrane will be your stabilisation layer at the base of your arena layers with the ground/soil. It is a heavy loading membrane that can take the weight and movement in your base layer and prevent missing. This membrane is woven of polypropylene tapes to give its woven appearance and strong characteristics to help with load bearing. Usually a black in colour.
A non-woven layer is important directly under your riding surface, to help with water drainage and filtration through the other base layers. This membrane is a heat bonded membrane that will facilitate drainage without layer mixing that can cause unevenness in the surface over time. Usually a white/off white colour.
What layers are needed in a horse arena?
3 main layers depending on the finish you require.
Basically it’s a base – most made from clay
Subsurface – can be sand or permeable grid
top layer – sand, waxed surfaces, fibres the choice is yours!
each with a membrane layer between each.
Things to be sure of-
Make sure you have good drainage – do you need drainage pipes?
Remember your membranes
Make sure your base is well laid and level – compact well!
Don’t forget your fencing once the flooring is sorted.
What is a geotextile membrane?
A geotextile membrane is a construction product used in ground and drainage projects. It has many properties that help with stabilisation, filtration, separation, weed suppression and is a necessary addition to French drains and Soakaway systems.
Make sure you account for overlap in your geotextile membrane layers in your horse arena or menage. Each edge must have at least 30cm overlap to the next piece for a stable and secure base.
see are more in depth blog on geotextile membranes at Spudulica.co.uk – see above link
How deep should my horse arena be?
Ideally make each layer 300mm deep on top of your stone layer
Making sure its compacted well once each is laid.
horse arena packages at Spudulica –
Non woven geotexile and jointing tape
- 20 x 20 arena – 1 x full rolls 4.5 x 100m (450m2) + 2 rolls of tape
- 20 x 40 arena – 2 x full rolls 4.5 x 100m (900m2) + 4 rolls of tape
- 30 x 40 arena – 3 full rolls 4.5 x 100m (1350m2) + 8 rolls tape
- 40 x 40 arena – 4 x full rolls 4.5 x 100m (1800m2) + 10 rolls of tape
- 40 x 60 arena – 6 x full rolls 4.5 x 100m (2400m2) + 12 rolls tape
Non woven and woven geotextile and jointing tape
- 20 x 20 arena – 1 x full rolls 4.5 x 100m – both woven and fleece membrane (450m2) + 2 rolls of tape
- 20 x 40 arena – 2 x full rolls 4.5 x 100m – both woven and fleece membrane (900m2) + 4 rolls of tape
- 30 x 40 arena – 3 full rolls 4.5 x 100m – both woven and fleece membrane (1350m2) + 8 rolls tape
- 40 x 40 arena – 4 x full rolls 4.5 x 100m – both woven and fleece membrane (1800m2) + 10 rolls of tape
- 40 x 60 arena – 6 x full rolls 4.5 x 100m – both woven and fleece membrane (2400m2) + 12 rolls tape